Guest post by http://www.sexualaddict.co.uk/
Sexual trauma is caused, when a child or an adult is forced, tricked, threatened, or manipulated into undesired sexual activity. Sexual abuse is the most common kind of sexual trauma, which undermines trust and adversely affects a healthy relationship.
Counselling is essential for sexual trauma survivors. Unfortunately, many sexual abuse young victims avoid help. Sexual trauma counselling in London Clinic has observed that the young sexually abused survivor’s display symptoms like
- Exhibit numbing or anxious behaviour
- Get hypersensitive and startled at sudden noises
- Display a depressed characteristic like make no eye contact or never smile or have sleep or eat disorders
- Use alcohol or drug to freeze their feelings
- Kids can possibly become sexually pre-active because they are exposed to material prematurely
- Act aggressively
For adolescent and children sexual trauma is very much upsetting. Each abused person’s experience is different and their response to it also is unique. Counselling can help these survivors to deal with the excruciating emotions that can pop up anytime or at any point in their life.
Sexual trauma therapy for adults
Adults experiencing sexual trauma suffer from PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder). Sexual trauma counselling in London Clinics handle PTSD in several ways. They make use of four methods to address sexual abuse trauma.
- Stress inoculation training – The three phases included in this method are – education, skill-building and applying. Survivors learn about the reasons behind their terror and self-help strategies of managing these negative feelings.
- Prolonged exposure – Exposing traumatic memories repeatedly reduces the fear level of the experienced trauma. Ultimately, the survivor starts to feel less frightened with these memories and soon it is a thing of the past.
- Cognitive processing therapy – Counsellors deal with the traumatic experience through discussions. They even provide techniques to develop healthy feelings.
- Multiple channel confession therapy – The survivors are taught to detect their panic symptoms and encouraged to discuss their sexual trauma. Moreover, they are also made to understand that panic symptoms will never harm them.
Sexual trauma therapy for children
Trauma focused cognitive behavioural therapy or TF-CBT is regarded as the best treatment that will help the sex abuse survivors and their caretakers to address the sexual trauma effects. In this therapy, the survivors are trained to overcome their negative emotions and behavioural responses. The brain is compelled to adjust the feelings linked with trauma. The three goals attained using TF-CBT methods are given below.
- Reduce the negative response in terms of emotion and behaviour from the mind of the child suffering from sex abuse.
- Change wrong and unhelpful thinking associated with abuse like self-blaming for the cause of abuse.
- Provide coping skills to the guardians of the survivor.
Get the best therapist to release you from the sexual trauma condition and push you towards a healthy and productive life.